“I conclude this course with 3 observations: Very important, Very timely and Very valuable”.
“I’m not an engineer. I feel this course in not only for technical person, but for system thinking and much more”.
Education, Process Innovation and End to End Innovation are the focus areas of STIMS Institute. Each of these three focus areas are interconnected. education that is merely academic is less valuable today in the world where more than 80% of what is needed can be obtained through Google. Today education has to be holistic (i.e.) system oriented. That implies scientific fundamentals together with an emphasis on application of the science and the strategic reasoning required to make such education relevant and useful in the real world. Such Education was offered for the fourth year in a row . This leads to over 120 senior engineers, managers and teachers trained to meet the high end professional needs in the manufacturing sector.
The two day course was offered at Shenzen, China on August 9 and 10, 2017 in collaboration with Intelligent Grinding Technology (IGT) Ltd. http://www.grindoctor.com
The System Approach for Precision Manufacturing – Grinding Processes.
2 Day Course – Outline.
Day 1 – AM:
- Why should we grind?
- Critical and enduring role of physical processes like grinding in manufacturing and especially in Precision Components Manufacturing as well as surface generation requirements.
- Examples of grinding processes used in a wide variety of: Work materials, machines, components and applications
- Role of grinding processes in traditional applications as well as emerging needs like high efficiency IC engines, computer parts, LED, PV and wind energy components manufacturing.
- The System Approach to Grinding Processes:
- Every process is an Input / Transformation / Output system
- “Transformation” represents the Science of the Process
- System Approach requires integration of Science, Engineering and Strategy
- Grinding Processes are Input /Transformation / Output systems for surface generation to meet critical functional needs and process economics.
- The Science of grinding: The microscopic interactions that occur at the grinding zone and their quantification
- Inputs to the grinding process and how they impact the microscopic interactions:
- Work Materials and components
- Abrasive and dressing tools, coolants and other consumables
- Machine Tools (key element of investment and process design)
- Process parameters (that are selected as part of process design and can be changed at the shop floor)
Day 1 – PM:
- Measurement and Analysis of grinding processes
- Case Studies Demonstrating the use of the above for shop floor problem solving
BREAK for Dinner
After Dinner Session:
- Tutorials and data driven problem solving
DAY 2 – AM:
Recap of day 1 lessons.
- Technical Outputs – What are the requirements to be met when using grinding processes
- System Outputs – the Why? strategic and economic considerations pertaining to grinding processes
- Application of the System Approach – Case Studies
- Truing & Dressing of CBN grinding wheels
- Optimal use of CBN grinding solutions
- Simple Solid Shape (S3) grinding – High MRR low WIP, short lead time and flexible processes
- Processes for micro – chip, magnetic head and LED substrate fabrication.
- Machining to Grinding Processes
- Student Feed back
- Certificate Presentation.
The students in this course consisted of Senior Engineers, Business Head and V.P. of manufacturing companies.
Student feed back:
- This course is worthy. My customer want to use CBN wheel, but machine tool can’t satisfy requirement. I still have not good method. From this course, I get some enlightenment on how to make the best use of the available machine and other resources.
- Our parent company is from Belgium. Sometimes we want to change the grinding process, but it’s not permitted. After this course, I can use data to evaluate grinding process. If we have data support, Belgium can agree to that. I will use system approach to evaluate present method when I go back.
- This course gives a lot of help in supervising new product development.
- In the past, I work with experience. I learned a lot of basic knowledge in this course, which is very helpful for designing machine tool. I learned in this course how to use knowledge to analyze and solve problem. We plan to develop single crystal silicon grinding machine tool with system approach.
- It is the first time to learn grinding theory, which is helpful for my next work. In this course, I connect knowledge I learned in college with present work. In past, I always feel the knowledge I learned is not useful. Today I understand I didn’t connect them with my work. In future, I will promote my product with the knowledge, scientific method and data analysis.
- I’m very impressed by the lessons on economic output. In the past, we deal with price with very simple and rough method. Now I know I can evaluate the value from variety of aspects. I can give customer a list, which makes customer understand the value we bring and accept our price. We should promote the product’s quality, but not just low price.
- System approach concerns input, interaction and output. It also can be categorized by the work of engineer, science and management. Before the course, I know the first three interactions, but I know there are 6 interactions. I feel it is more reasonable. I also learn how to connect all interactions with input and output by using power monitoring. When I go back, I plan to use knowledge I learn from this course to solve 2 to 3 problems. If it works, I want to spread system approach and do continuously improvement.
- I feel this course is very worthy. Thanks for IGT for co- organizing this course.
- We are now focusing on hard and brittle grinding. This course helps me to open the black box of grinding, and let me to see interactions and how to solve problem. I have more significant understanding to grinding process.
- System approach will help me in work and life. Knowledge in this course is very deep, I need to learn more after this
- After I go back, I will transmit system approach with my leader and colleagues. Now we are doing a project about ceramic material grinding, so I want to apply system approach on this project.
- I conclude this course with 3 words: Very important, Very timely and very valuable. Dr. Subbu, is very professional. He has very clear logic. If Dr. Subbu have more opportunities to contact the market in China and spread system approach, the effects will be better.
- I’m not an engineer. I feel this course in not only for technical person, but for system thinking and much more.